Tuesday, August 21, 2012

POWW 102: A Furniture Link Party

Happy POWW!  I am SOOOOOO excited about today's project I am sharing!  Kelly from Stylish Patina recently started carrying Old Fashioned Milk Paint and asked me if I would like to try it out.  Well, of course I said YES!  The piece I am about to share is actually the second one I did.... the first one I am saving for a review of the product at Remodelaholic in the next couple months.  I will go into more detail when I do the review, but I was so excited that this paint is ZERO VOC!  I love that!!!  Totally safe to use!  So finally I can get my kids to start doing the work for me. ;)  Ha Ha.  I'm kidding. I'll wait til they are at least 7 and 8.

I found this cute little cabinet out at a yard sale on Saturday.

This piece made me so glad I had ventured out because it was so darn cute!  Do you ever have those days where you just really don't want to go to yard sales, but you know you should because it's sorta your job?  I was having one of those days, but I forced myself to go.   So glad I did!  I found some other treasures, too. :)

Anyhow, I got home and got right to work!  I gave the piece a quick wipe down, and removed the knobs.  Then I mixed 1/2 c Old Fashioned Milk Paint powder in Slate with 1/2 c warm water.  I mixed in a small rubbermaid container so that I could put a lid on it between coats.

Now, I was apprehensive... this piece had been shellacked on top and was super glossy.  Before I painted the entire piece, I tested an area on the glossiest part.  And guess what?  It stuck!  It was amazing!  I then gave the piece two coats total.  This paint dries rather quickly and I was able to recoat just a couple hours later.  Once the two coats had dried, I added some hand painted branches with flowers to the doors in a creamy acrylic craft paint.  Once that was dry, I used 200 grit sandpaper to distress the entire piece.  It distressed beautifully!!!!  I am in LOVE with this look!  Finally, I gave it a coat of clear wax for protection, and buffed it.  And here it is!




Now, this next picture is a side by side of the two pieces I painted with the Slate color.  You can see that different woods will take to the paint differently both in color and finish.  I just wanted to point that out- I think it's pretty cool though!

I seriously am in love with Old Fashioned Milk Paint.  It's perfect for an authentically old look.  Kelly can ship as well, so be sure to visit her to check out all the colors available!

Now it's your turn to show off your latest and greatest project!


RULES:
1. Your post must be a completed original project and must be a furniture redo or build.
2. Your post must be new to my parties- do not link something you have shared on this blog before.
3. You must be a follower to party here.
4. No etsy shops or the like!
5. You must place my button or a text link in your post or sidebar.
6. Leave others some comment love!

Photobucket

38 comments:

suzyq said...

That turned out absolutely beautiful Cassie - and it's a gorgeous color!
Great job :)
Thanks so much for hosting another great party!
Be back later to browse since Anne and I are the first to arrive, lol
Hugs,
Suzan

Carrie @ lovely etc. said...

Your little cabinet is beautiful! The color and design your chose are so perfect - great job!

The Golden Sycamore said...

I love how your cabinet turned out, Cassie! I know the feeling of not wanting to go to yard sales sometimes, too! I just went last week when I really didn't want to and got some great deals! :)

I agree that the milk paint gives an authentically aged feel. I think it's so pretty! I really want to try it out some time.

Thanks for hosting the party!
Allison

Bella said...

What a cute cabinet! Love how each piece takes on it own unique color...that is awesome!

Sophia's said...

I started using milk paint last spring before Luckett's and I was immediately hooked! I can't believe how it adheres so well to surfaces. Your cabinet turned out awesome.

I'm actually on my way to Woodcraft to go pick up more milk paint this morning :)

Kristen

Allison@FabRehab said...

You just helped me decide which paint to try! Thanks lady ;). gorgeous cabinet!!!

anneoverbeek.blogspot.com said...

Beautiful cabinet and beautiful paint. Thanks for sharing and hosting.

Rebecca said...

What a great find! I love the branches you painted, it just adds such a softness to the cabinet. One of these days I'll try out the Milk Paint!!

Carmel @ Our Fifth House said...

That color is so pretty! I haven't been yard saling in forever - I got burnt out because I had a couple of "no find days" so I need to get back to it!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

The little cabinet is darling!

Lisa at Shine Your Light said...

I love how this piece turned out….I need to try milk paint. Do you like it better than chalk paint or is it just a different beast?

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

I love that piece, the color and vine is just perfect ... I need to get my coffee table tute done so I can link up. :)

Upscale Downhome said...

Just the perfect amount of distressing. I must try milk paint soon!

pam {simple details} said...

So pretty!!! Dries quickly and recoat in a couple hours - music to my ears!

Dear Emmeline said...

It turned out beautifully! Love the gray...and it distressed so nicely! I still need to try milk paint. I was actually planning to try it before chalk paint but there wasn't anywhere convenient to pick it up and then chalk paint came to the area! Time to go back to the original plan. :)

Chrissie said...

Love your sweet cabinet. The milk paint is awesome! Thanks for hosting today!

Bliss said...

You make my head swim. Cute little cabinet, and I have not tried milk paint. I should huh?

~Bliss~

Sarah @ Imperfect Patina said...

I love that cabinet! The branches are so cute! Thanks for hosting another great party!!

The Far Fifty said...

Great colour on that cabinet, love it! Thanks for hosting, you rock! :)

Dana Frieling said...

i love that you're the guinea pig of new products for the rest of us! You're the best!

Stephanie {The Driftwood Cottage} said...

I love that color and you did a great job on the branches! I might have to try the milk paint...

Kate O'Leary said...

Love the cabinet Cassie - especially the hand painted branches. A beautiful piece to hide lots of "stuff"!

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

Very pretty Cassie! I'm tempted to try the milk paint. I totally understand not wanting to yard sale...I think I'm kind of burnt out after a summer of it :)

Ali Richardson said...

I love it!!! Painting those branches is the cherry on top! Love it & U!

Twice Nice said...

What an adorable piece! Love the color and your design! Great party.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

That's such a cute little cabinet!

Rita said...

your cabinet turned out so pretty and love your hand painted floral decor.
great color choice.
rita

Meegan Fast said...

Wow!! I am in love with your find and the new look! The stenciling is prefect for that piece :)
Thanks for hosting, Cassie!
Have a great week!
Meegan

Melissa said...

I LOVE your cabinet Cassie!!!! Such a gorgeous color and the branches are the perfect touch!!

Thanks for hosting!!

Deb Hrabik said...

What a find! Your paint treatment and design are simple and beautiful. Love the peacefulness.
Deb@LakeGirlPaints

Good Time Charlie said...

Wow! It looks nothing like the cabinet you started with. I love the little branches. I know the feeling about garage sales and Saturday mornings. Yep, comes with the job. Thanks for hosting!

The Bold Abode said...

It's just lovely, Cassie! I just can't believe you can paint over finishes like that...

Andrea said...

I love it! The vines add just the touch of whimsy it needed. Great job and the color is perfection!

Ashley Jourdan said...

Hey there, sorry I realized I have linked my project to this party before, please forgive me. Thanks for all the inspiring furniture these category specific parties are my fave.

cheltenhamroad said...

The cabinet looks great - I must try milk paint. Thanks for the party - it's been a while since I had something worth sharing.

Sue@Uniquely Chic said...

Love how you showed the difference the milk paint made on different types of wood. Something I want to try soon. Hope all is well and you had a happy summer....Sue

Courtney said...

ooh milk paint sounds awesome!! Wonder if we can get it in Australia?! I'll have to check that one out now!
You've done a super re-do as usual Cassie!! Thanks for hosting the party! xx

Dianne Grover said...

The distressing is beautiful! It just gives of that rustic look, perfect for almost any closets Bergen design. I am also quite into the rustic look and am designing a room in my house practically just for that. Amazing job with the cabinet! Thanks for this share!