Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Two Toned Oak Dresser

Happy Tuesday, all! First of all, I want to thank you all so much for the outpouring of prayers and donations for our neighbors.  At this point in time all material items needed like clothing, etc, has been taken care of.... so much so that some has even been re-donated, which I think is an amazing thing!  So now, we are just focusing on getting the family funds and gift cards, which several of you have emailed me about.  For that I am so grateful.  Anyhow, I just wanted to offer you all that quick update as well as a big virtual hug from me to show you how much I appreciate you.

Secondly, I have a dresser makeover to share with you today.  I picked up this dresser this past weekend in West Virginia.  A couple weeks ago I went to this house to purchase a new dresser for my own room, which yes, I know, I still have yet to share.  Oops.  Anyhow, the owner also had a couple other vintage dressers to sell so I made an offer and we settled on a price.  I made plans to go back to get them but then I was stuck home with my hooky-playing daughter!  I rescheduled to this past weekend, but then it snowed.  I don't like driving in the snow, even though I grew up in New England.  My car just doesn't handle it that well.  I batted my eyes and asked Chris if he would go, and he did. :)

Yesterday was SO cold, but I decided to give one of them a sanding (just on the body, not the drawers) and haul it inside to the kitchen to paint it.  This is the one I went to work on....


Isn't it cute?  I loved the hardware and loved the details on the side as well as the sweet curvy apron.  The top was a little rough, but I loved the graining on the drawers, so I decided to keep them as is, and give it a two-toned look.  I had just received my latest chalk paint shipment from Stylish Patina, and decided to go with Duck Egg blue, which is a favorite color of mine, but I had not used it in a LOOOOOONG time.  Lately I had chosen Provence over Duck Egg and forgot just how much I loved it!

I painted the body and the paint went on beautifully, only needing one coat.  Now, since I was in my kitchen, clearly I didn't want to distress and get dust everywhere, so I used a warm, damp rag, to slightly distress the edges and wipe paint here and there.  Then I used a clear wax to finish it.  I put the drawers back in and that was that!  Here it is now.  Oh, and I didn't notice until I started taking pictures that one of the top pulls is upside down, but I kept it as such.  It's odd and quirky, like me.



Check out the fleur de lis hardware and those pretty details on the side.

And here you can really see that upside down pull. :)

And the pretty apron...

This was one of the easiest makeovers, but sometimes less is more.  I love how it turned out!

Photobucket
Sharing here: PhotobucketFurniture Feature Fridays

54 comments:

andrea@townandprairie said...

This is a beautiful re-do! Here, here for keeping something you re-do! I told my husband I finally want to make a buffet that I keep, and he's like...but where are we going to put it? Don't care, I'm DOIN' it.

uniquelyyoursormine.com said...

Wow! I think you and I were working on cousin chests at the same time! I went with Coco though... I looooove the Duck Egg on yours, it's perfect! - Susan

Laura Janning said...

hi cassie- turned out pretty. I just love that color.

The Golden Sycamore said...

I love the color combination! It's so pretty! And I totally wouldn't have noticed the upside down drawer pull if you hadn't said anything...even with the close up shot! Maybe I need to start paying better attention to things! ;)
Allison

Feral Turtle said...

What a gorgeous dresser. Love all the details. I think the color contrast really made that dresser pop! Good Job!

Dee said...

So pretty. They just don't make beautiful furniture like that anymore. Beautiful job. Dee from My Painted Stuff

Mary said...

Great details on this piece. It turned out beautiful!

Kirby Dunton Carespodi said...

I'm getting ready to do a similar dreser...larger, but the drawers are in good shape, so I'm staining them and painting the case. I'm thinking grey.

Sarah AKA The Thriftress said...

I'm really digging the two tone lately!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

I'm so glad the family has gotten the items that they will need. The fundraising has been amazing. :) Your dresser is so beautiful too. Megan

Andrea said...

I love the two tone look! I would have never noticed the hardware being upside down. So glad your neighbors needs are going to be taken care of. They are in my prayers.

Suzan Sweatman said...

Hi Cassie
What a relief to hear of all the outpouring of love for your neighbours - I was just speaking about them last night -
Your dresser is gorgeous ( as always)
Hugs,
Suzan

Melissa Skidmore said...

What a beauty! Duck Egg is my "go-to" color! I have never tried the Provence. I am going to have to give it a go! The two tone looks so classy on this piece! Life to the full, Melissa

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Nice job with the eyelash batting! That is a pretty piece. I like the upside down pull!

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

She's a beauty! I often forget about using a damp rag to distress -- perfect for a lighter touch.
Continued prayers for your neighbors, Cassie. What a blessing you must be to them.
xo Heidi

Blondie's Journal said...

What a gorgeous find! I love the Duck Egg Blue...good choice!

XO,
Jane

Angela Santaniello said...

I'm really, really loving the pieces with paint and stain lately. Great makeover!

Angela

Dear Emmeline said...

never get tired of your beautiful work!

Jenny said...

Less is more is right! I didn't see that one coming - awesome look!

Carmel @ Our Fifth House said...

I love the two tone!!

Good Time Charlie said...

Love two tone, and the wood is in great shape! So glad to hear your neighbors are doing better. How fortunate they are to have you as a neighbor!

Rita said...

this is simply beautiful!! I love that blue and wood tone together.
I send out my condolences to your neighbors through their tragedy. It really puts into perspective how precious life and time are and to treasure our kids for who they are. I know I complain sometimes about my own "family" issues but I charish these girls and can not imagine what your neighbor is going through. My heart goes out to them.

Dana Frieling said...

Awesome to hear the outpouring of support for your neighbors. I love hearing how you score these great pieces.

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Love the details and hardware on this dresser! I agree, sometimes less is more!

pam {simple details} said...

Loving the two-tone trend, and you rocked it, brown eyed, lash-batting girl! :)

Twice Nice said...

Love how the details so match the hardware! Duck Egg is gorgeous, and I love it with the 2 tone effect!

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Gorgeous! I NEVER would have noticed that handle, and I'm usually really good about those things!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Love it...the two tones adds so much personality!

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

that two tone is perfect!!!

A Flair for Vintage Decor said...

Thank you for your sweet comment! Love the dresser-- you did a fabulous job on it!! Take care, Caroline

Emily @ The Diligent One said...

Doing a two toned paint job has been on my list for a while now, and you've just reminded me why I love it so. Nice work!

Loi Thai, Tone on Tone said...

Hey Cassie - The dresser turned out great! Very clever and original. Love the two toned effect.
xo
Loi

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

Pretty! It looks so much better :)
(and fun fact about me - I used to be OBSESSED with Fleur de Lis's...everything had them - Clothes, jewelry, decor, bedding, purses, you name it - LOL! I still love a beautiful fleur de lis, but I am glad that my obsessive phase is over ;) it was a bit much. I've moved on to lattice and ikat now ;) )

xoxox

Rebecca said...

So pretty! I've been having a love affair with the Duck Egg Blue lately myself!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Oh pretty! I love the two toned look and the fun mix of hardware!

Jane Craske said...

Very glad that your neighbours are having a hand getting on their feet.

THAT dresser! I never would have thought to leave the drawers be and I LOVE it.

Andrea said...

You have some amazing luck when it comes to finding these gems!!! I'm jealous!! ;-). Been looking for a similar piece to use as a nightstand!

Sooner Laura said...

That's a beautiful piece of furniture. I can't bear to paint over nice wood so several of the pieces in our bedroom makeover are two tone. Glad your neighbors are received the needed assistance in this difficult time.

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

Beautiful! I love that you maintained the richness and great grain of the wood and updated it so nicely with colour. I need to find a great piece to try this with.

Julia Konya said...

WOW, I can barely get to the bottom of all the comments ;) ....I love the two tone too!

Allison said...

How wonderful that there has been a big outpouring of support for your neighbors. There are many good people in this world!! The dresser looks great! I like the two tone and the pretty detail.

DecorandtheDog said...

Very pretty!

Gail Wilson said...

this is a beautiful piece of furniture cassie! I love the color! way to go
gail

Courtney said...

beautiful Cassie...and one coat?!! love that! xx

Lynn said...

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!

Ali Richardson said...

Pretty!! I love that color too :) oh - and you are NOT quirky and weird. period.

Kelly said...

I love that wood detail on the side. And yes you ARE quirky and weird. Don't change a thing.

Julie Boarder said...

Love the two tone look, I have done a few things like it. My 16 year old doesn't understand it, but who cares, sometimes it's fun to confuse the kids ;-)

Inspired by you said...

Another lovely piece. You are so talented!

Ruth said...

Love the two tone. Very pretty.
Ruth

Craftberry Bush said...

Hi beautiful Cassie...just wanted to let you know that we featured your gorgeous piece today...thank you so much for sharing...xo

Jaime Lyn said...

Beautiful Cass! I love the two toned so much lately! Thank you for linking up, I know Lucy let you know you were featured, :o) and I just added this beauty to our feature board!
Hugs,
Jaime

reFresh reStyle said...

I'm working on one in similar colors, love it!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

You are unbelievable! I only wish I lived in Your Neighborhood!!!
I'd be there for sure!